Monday, September 19, 2011

Things I'm trying #1

On the topic of things I am trying with my kids, last week I tried giving a spelling test using a Google Docs Form and then grading it with Flubaroo.
Ok, before you stop reading because you have no idea what I just said, let me break it down for you.
Google Docs is a way for you to share documents and collaborate on them. You can create word processing documents as well as spreadsheets and presentations similar to PowerPoint. You can create a document by creating a Google account, and then click on documents at the top of your email page. Play around with it. You can create documents for school and they are automatically saved in your account...no hard drive storage space required.
One of those types of documents you can make is a form. This can be shared online and filled in by anyone you choose. I put it on a web page for my kids to access. My form looked like this:

Then I read the spelling words and had the kids minimize the window after they typed in the words (The high-tech method of hiding your paper?)
When the kids submit their form, it looks like this on my spreadsheet:

The top row is the key that I typed in. There are some blanks because we ran into some glitches, but all but one kid had all of the words on the spreadsheet, just not necessarily in the same row:) Then I used an add-on called Flubaroo (I have no idea how the creators came up with that name, but I like it). When it ran, it gave me percentages for each kid in about 20 seconds! That's a timesaver!!!
If you are interested in trying this, I'd love to help you! The kids really liked doing it and I didn't have to spend precious minutes trying to decide if that letter was an "a" or an "o"!

No comments:

Post a Comment