Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taking revenge on the seating chart...among other tricks

Making seating charts or choosing groups for students to work in can be time consuming. I’ve spent a lot of time in the past pulling my numbers out of my number jar and organizing new groups. Now that I’ve discovered Super Teacher Tools, this can be done much more quickly.
The first thing this site will ask you do to do is to create a class list. Then they will email you a link to that list. Click on the link. Once the list has been created, you can do a number of things. To make a seating chart, click on “Tools” and then the seating chart icon.


You have to click “shuffle names” for the names to appear on the desks. Then, the thing that makes this different than other seating charts I’ve seen, is the ability to rearrange the desks to match the configuration of your room. To change the names without changing the arrangement you’ve made, just click the redo button. The names will switch around randomly. Then the whole thing can be printed out!
I like the idea of using random group generator when I need to put the kids into groups quickly. They can’t complain when the computer does it (well I guess they could, but I’ll just blame the computer!)
Try some of the other tools on this site and share how you used them!

No comments:

Post a Comment